I would like to find a machine for her that:
3. Blind hems
4. Has an automatic buttonholer that is easy to use *
5. Has a feed-dog that drops so the machine can sew on buttons
6. Is portable
7. Is fast, but also sews well at a very slow speed
8. Uses standard, low-shank feet
9. Has a straight-stitch plate to prevent fabric from jamming down in the race.
10. Has screw-on feet – When sewing at high-speeds it is better to have everything screwed on tight – I don’t trust the snap-on feet I’ve used them and I don’t like them very much.
11. Can wind a bobbin as it sews
12. Has a straight stitch plate.
13. Can be set so that when one stops sewing the needle is either down in the fabric, or up out of the fabric*
14. A knee pedal that lifts the presser foot would be nice*
Here are the machines that I own and use:
My principal machine is a 269 Pfaff (above) that is a cross between an industrial and a home sewing machine. It is a lockstitch zigzag. It was probably built in the fifties. It’s fast and sews like a dream. I LOVE this machine.
I also own two portable lockstitch sewing machines. One is a 2000 Hobby lockstitch zigzag (right) that I bought probably 30 years ago. I use it in the classroom to demonstrate how to use the zigzag. This machine is slow. I’ve never liked it much, but it is useful to have when teaching.
My second portable (left) is a featherweight lockstitch that was manufactured in 1941. This fabulous little machine is available on E-bay. But it doesn’t overcast, make machine overcast buttonholes, or sew on buttons. Attachments can be bought to allow it to do that, but they don’t really work all that well. So this machine is off the list for my student.
Facebook: Contemporary Fashion Education, Inc.
P:215 884 7065, F:215 884 3727, C:610 908 7222
- 143: Fitting Patterns August 19, 2021
- 144: Gift of the Magi July 23, 2021
- 145: 6 Ways to Improve How You Look and Feel During the Pandemic July 13, 2021
- 142: Sustainability – industry, personal July 3, 2021
- 141: Commercial Home Sewing Patterns Problems May 15, 2021
- 140: Contemporary Fashion Education program May 15, 2021