Here are fashions I photographed while visiting Balboa Island and other ocean resorts in California this fall
Swimsuits on display in the windows would require a model’s figure. I didn’t see anyone wearing suits this skimpy.
Embroidered and applique clothing is everywhere. Ethnic clothing is back, but with a rich look. Children’s clothing is rich, with considerable detail. Note the smocking with embroidered flowers on the little girl’s dress, above.
I saw large red roses on a white jacket, which was really beautiful. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to get a picture of it.
The clothing is casual; torn jeans are still in. Beat up overalls with sequins and a sequined hat was a bit different.
Loose patterned pants are a new fashion look
Pants are casual, cool, and full of patterns. They are worn with solid color tops to off-set the extensive patterning.
Lots of bright colors. Huge printed flowers in vivid colors.
Shoes are open and also casual. Note the shoes worn by teenage boys attending a homecoming event.
This group’s young women wore short, tight dresses. Another homecoming group’s young women wore long gowns to the floor.
© Laurel Hoffmann, 2018
- 141: Commercial Home Sewing Patterns Problems May 15, 2021
- 140: Contemporary Fashion Education program May 15, 2021
- 139: Problems with Fashion Education May 14, 2021
- Professional Instructional Sewing Videos May 14, 2021
- 138: How to Start a Fashion Line January 15, 2021
- 137: Why Home Sewing Patterns Don’t Fit December 11, 2020